The position of Operations Manager at Bikes for the World is an exciting opportunity to join an organization with an appealing mission. The Operations Manager will report to the Executive Director and work collaboratively, as part of the team. The ideal candidate is organized, self-motivated and willing to work closely with colleagues both in an office setting and virtually. This is a full-time position that involves evening and weekend work. Bikes for the World is a small cohesive team dedicated to making a positive change globally and locally one bike at a time.
The Operations Manager position is based out of our warehouse in Rockville, MD but this position requires working offsite a majority of the time. A significant amount of time is spent on the road. Regular evening and weekend time is required, as is outdoor work in various weather conditions/seasons. This position is full-time with an expected salary range of $40,000-$45,000. Benefits include generous vacation and sick leave; Bikes for the World's 403(b) retirement program, and a flexible and easygoing work environment.
Operations Manager duties include:
- Serve as the primary mechanic for all bike-related activities both in the warehouse and in the field at collection events; experience with, and knowledge of, bicycle mechanics are a necessary and important component of this position.
- Pickup and transport of donated bicycles using a combination of a BfW owned vehicle and rental box trucks.
- Regular communication with established international partners to ensure timely receipt of necessary shipments.
- Seeing through the process of scheduling and booking shipments, shipping documentation and regular follow up with receiving parties.
- Working with volunteers in various settings; ability to supervise and motivate volunteer groups of various sizes, ages and ability levels.
- Develop and manage relationships with local bike shops and civic partners as well as other institutional sources of bike donations.
- Warehouse management and organization.
- Cull, inventory, and manage sale of donated items considered more appropriate for U.S. sale.
- Oversee and lead the loading of 40' containers of bicycles and parts destined for overseas.
- Collaborate with Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator to organize various facets of bike collection events.
- Undergraduate degree preferred.
- Experience with nonprofit organizations and boards of directors a plus.
- Ability to quickly prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects with shifting timelines a necessity.
- Demonstrated knowledge or familiarity with bicycle mechanics; previous experience working at a bike shop or co-op strongly preferred.
- Previous supervisory or management position preferred.
- Appreciation for, understanding of, and experience working with diverse communities: age, race, cultural, language, religion, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status.
- Proven record of developing and maintaining relationships with volunteers and organizations; experience working with youth appreciated.
- Spanish or French language skills a plus.
- Proficiency in Google Office Suite, Joomla web tools, and social media platforms.
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record.
- Experience driving trucks, vans and commercial vehicles; CDL a plus but not required.
- Must be able to regularly and comfortably lift 50 lbs and work in a warehouse setting.